software/hardware to records very long dj sets help

Music creation & DJ mixing, how tos questions, discussions & help ~~~ Musical Software/hardware/skills etc...
dj_anubis
ॐ Vibe
ॐ Vibe

software/hardware to records very long dj sets help

Post by dj_anubis » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:34 pm

Hey 3plag

wanted to ask you about software or HARDWARE to record long hours dj sets

I want to know if there is a software that can not only record the dj set but also save it while recording.

I am asking because if I am thinking about recording long dj set 6-12 hours live and i am afraid the software will crash and all the work will be destroyed

also wanted to know if you know any hardware the can record this kind of long dj set? because hardware cant crash like software..

waiting for reply..

Zero-Blade
Psycho

Post by Zero-Blade » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:17 pm

For software, I would recommend Sony SoundForge. I have recorded sound for more than 10 hours straight without any crashes, bugs or trouble. The only thing you need to make sure, for such huge recordings, is that you have enough ram and hd space.

For example, for a 13h16m40s recording, you would need around 8 gigs of usable/free ram + 8 gigs of hd space to save (if you're recording directly in 16bit).

dj_anubis
ॐ Vibe
ॐ Vibe

Post by dj_anubis » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:25 pm

I have 4 Gigs of ram its not enough?

In microsoft office you can save the file every 5 minutes for backup automatically, In soundforge you have this option?

I mean if something goes wrong then 10 hours can go to the garabage...

psilopsyben
DJ team
DJ team

Post by psilopsyben » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:05 am

I recommend sound forge as well. I love this program. Fun fact, I actually live 20 min from where it was first developed. 4 gigs of ram will be more than enough. but having a lot of free space on your internal hard drive is essential, as that is the hard drive that it is most likely going to save to. Hardware really depends on your choice of sound card. you could just record using the built in input jack on a laptop, but a soundcard just makes things cooler.