lookin for that fm "electricity" sound

Music creation & DJ mixing, how tos questions, discussions & help ~~~ Musical Software/hardware/skills etc...
psilopsyben
DJ team
DJ team

lookin for that fm "electricity" sound

Post by psilopsyben » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:57 pm

so I have found this tutorial on KVR. (scroll down a bit and the tutorial will be there. It seems to be almost what I want. Any of you awesome producers have any other info or tutorials/knowledge on this sound you would like to share?

Azeban
Seeking connection...
Seeking connection...

Post by Azeban » Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:24 pm

I get good results from very low octave saw wave FM.

Play notes in the C2-C3 range with a rich saw wave.
Add another oscillator set to FM tuned 2 to 4 octaves down!
Make this oscillator also a saw wave.
Sometimes I have something like FM saw wave 3 octaves down plus sine FM 1 octave down.

If your synth has a "spread" knob or detune or something similar add a little bit of this to the FM oscillator.

See what that gets you.

If you use Albino I can send you a few patches I have.

Cheers,
Randall

Azeban
Seeking connection...
Seeking connection...

Post by Azeban » Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:16 am

Also, I find flanger can be a very "electric" sort of sound.
You might try adding a small amount of flange to your electric fm lead gives you a very crystalline sound like many of the leads of the latest Kindzadza album. Be light with it or the effect overpowers the sound. Maybe 10% wet. You can be heavy on the feedback when you keep the wet signal down.

I like how this sounds, but it might not be what you're looking for. Just trying to give ideas.

Look forward to hearing other people's suggestions! Please post!

-Randall

psilopsyben
DJ team
DJ team

Post by psilopsyben » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:08 pm

thought I'd update this if people still are looking for this, as the tutorial is gone in that link I put up. here it is:

The synth will sound like this:
---->http://www.cybernetika.de/synths/the%20 ... 0saw_2.mp3

If you add some panning and gating to it, it can produce awesome hard staccato rythms.
----> http://www.cybernetika.de/synths/the%20 ... 20gate.mp3

Ok,

to follow this tutorial, you will most likely need z3ta. Open a new patch, and try to follow the instructions.

If you want to have this sound ready for use, you can download the z3ta patch here:
----> http://www.cybernetika.de/synths/dark%20fm%20saw.fxp

so I start with a very simple melodic pattern, nothing special here.

In the end our z3ta that outputs a beautiful sound will look like this:

- In z3ta, I will use 2 Oscillators. Oscillator 1 is the modulator, Oscillator 2 is the carrier. Its pretty easy to do this in z3ta.

- first, set the polyphony to 1.

- set Osc1 Wave to "Triangle". Low Triangle waves are awesome modulators for this kind of sound.
- set Osc2 Wave to "Vintage Saw 1". This is our carrier, you can also choose other waveforms, but in my opinion saw waves are the best.
- set Osc1 Group to "FM". This means our waveform is now a frequency modulator.

- set Osc1 Octave to -3 and Osc2 Octave to -1. You can choose other octaves of course, but the modulator should always be 2 octaves lower than the carrier for best results.

- filter 1 should be set to a 12 db bandpass filter with 2/3 resonance.
- filter 2 is a 12 db lowpass filter with resonance and cutoff set at around 1/2.

- next, increase the "Bus" of oscillator 2. This means, more of its signal will go through filter 1 (since filters are cool we want to do this)
- play around with the level of oscillator 1. The higher you take it, the "noisier" our sound will be, so if you dont want to end up with noise, dont set it too high.

- set the "render quality", if you havent done this already, to draft. This will result in a much rawer output. We want a raw, dirty sound, so this would probably be useful.

- next we go to the effects page in z3ta and add a slight bit of delay, and distortion set to maximum amount, type smart shaper, destination filters 1-2.

-also do some EQ to cut a bit of the nasty mids.

here is what the fx page looks like:

-now back to the front page.

- we change the envelope to minimum attack, maximum sustain, maximum decay, no release.

- we add an LFO with destination "filter 1 cutoff", then we add some sick modulation to our filter. Yay. Z3ta has some nice step envelopes that can do some cool LFO things.
These are my LFO settings:

- now play around with speed and range of the LFO modulation until you got something that sounds nice.
- if you wan, you can add some extra tweaking of filter 1 cutoff, and add it as automation envelope.

Well, I almost think thats all of it.

Remember that the modulation amount, that is the level of oscillator 1, is the most important tool to shape the sound the way you like it, either "bassy" or ..well.. "nasty saw like"

I also added some CamelPhat distortion to it, a bit of overdrive really works on this kind of sound.

If you want to go even more crazy and create some rythmic patterns out of it, try CamelSpace.

Again, Here is what I did to our first sound with crazy panned gating:
----> http://www.cybernetika.de/synths/the%20 ... 20gate.mp3
Last edited by psilopsyben on Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

psilopsyben
DJ team
DJ team

Post by psilopsyben » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:10 pm

credit goes to Cybernetika. Originally posted on KVR http://www.kvraudio.com

Zero-Blade
Psycho

Post by Zero-Blade » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:30 am

Stickyfied. A good tutorial for beginners. :)

psilopsyben
DJ team
DJ team

Post by psilopsyben » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:08 pm

sweet!! :super

I've noticed if you move the level of osc 2 down, it starts to sound more along the lines of what I was originally looking for back in 08. This is really just a starting point. experiment with it. this is a pretty cool sound to mess around with.

Cinder
Vomitstorm

Post by Cinder » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:20 pm

good thread dudes :)

i'm going to start a patch thread shortly :D

Alien Nelia
no beats in this soul ;(
no beats in this soul ;(

Re: lookin for that fm "electricity" sound

Post by Alien Nelia » Fri May 16, 2014 6:15 pm

Can somebody help me out with that electrical awsum sound which almost all dark psy artists use .. :blush
This site has helped me a lot hop for more . Boooom Guys 8-) :super Keep Rockin :crazyG